The Pride of the Prairie Scholarship
is presented annually to recognize outstanding contributions by high school juniors or seniors that enhance the lives of people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual and/or transgender (LGBTQ+) in the McLean County, Illinois area.
Sponsored by the Prairie Pride Coalition (PPC), the Pride of the Prairie Scholarship is presented to at least one student to recognize contributions made by a High School junior/senior student. The expectation is that this award will encourage the student to continue impacting the world around them and help them pay for costs associated with post-secondary education.
The presentation of the Pride of the Prairie Scholarship serves as an opportunity to:
- recognize and encourage the leadership, dedication and commitment of individuals who have made outstanding contributions to social justice and equality on behalf of people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual and/or transgender;
- honor and celebrate the goal of creating a society which accepts and values people who are LGBTQ+;
- make individuals’ positive contributions to the LGBTQ+ community visible to the wider community;
- recognize achievements and contributions which might otherwise go unnoticed.
- Nominated individuals should have distinguished themselves by making significant contributions for the betterment of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBTQ+) community in the McLean County, Illinois area.
- Nominated individuals do not have to identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, non-binary, transgender, nor anywhere else on the spectrum.
- Nominations for co-recipients within a category will be considered only when the nominees’ contributions were made as part of a collaborative or team effort, indicating that the nominees jointly accomplished the achievement for which they are nominated.
Nominations for this award can be made by any person that is aware of outstanding LGBTQ+ associated contributions (including one’s self). A complete nomination must include:
- The completed application on Google forms.
- One statement of support regarding those impacted by the nominee’s activities describing the effort, commitment, time, and impact given by this individual to making positive contributions to the lives of people who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and/or queer. This support statement must be uploaded to the application form and must contain contact information for author of support.
Leadership and service considered for nomination may be in the form of, but not limited to, areas such as:
- serving in leadership positions in organizations serving the LGBTQ+ community;
- initiating and/or implementing cultural or educational programming, or workshops, trainings or seminars;
- serving as an advocate on issues of importance to the LGBTQ+ community;
- performing outreach activities to allies on behalf of the LGBTQ+ community;
- serving as a mentor or advisor to LGBTQ+ or ally students, peers or colleagues.
Deadline for Submission
Friday, April 22, 2022, 11:59 pm CST.
- A selection committee drawn from the membership of local LGBTQ+ organizations will review nominations.
- The committee will consist of no less than two representatives of PPC.
- The nominee(s) receiving the most votes will receive the award. In instances where there are highly competitive nominees, it may be necessary for the system to employ rounds of voting to progressively acknowledge the final candidate.
- Upon the decision, the committee will present to the PPC Board of Directors the name(s) of the nominee(s) and a statement of the selection process.
- The Board will then confirm that processes were followed and then vote to approve the selection.
Dependent on the number and quality of nominations, it is the intention of Prairie Pride Coalition (as the sponsor of the scholarship) to present at least one award each year.
The amount/value of the award(s) will be directly tied to the amount of PPC’s fundraising received for these awards; and tracked as a separate line item in the PPC financial registry.
Selection will be made on the basis of the following criteria:
- demonstrated leadership and service on behalf of people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or allies in the Bloomington and/or Normal area(s);
- efforts extending beyond the nominee’s general expectations and work responsibilities;
- achieving results and effecting positive change on behalf of people who are LGBTQ+.
Presentation of the Award
The recipient of the Pride of the Prairie Award will be announced on the PPC Facebook page.
Arrangements for presentation/acceptance will thereafter be coordinated between a representative of the PPC Board and the recipient(s).